Sunday, February 15, 2009

Yes, I Ignored V Day


And for that, I apologize. I'm sure that you, my faithful readers, were shocked. Perhaps you were concerned, wondering if some terrible accident had rendered me unable to type or, worse, interrupted my ability to tap into my special brand of sarcasm... If anyone was expected to write a bitter, jaded rant about this specific Hallmark holiday, it was me. If I had started this blog a year ago, I would have been all over this like white on rice.

For quite a few years, if I was seeing someone around Valentines Day (more commonly referred to during that period as F*cking Valentines Day), I would have to end the relationship shortly before this day of loaded expectations due to lack of interest, an inability to feign enthusiasm and refusal to purchase a gift (doesn't really make sense to re-decorate a sinking ship, if you catch my drift...). My typical V Day celebrations included as many bitter, jaded singletons as I could find, sad bouquets of the cheapest leftover flowers and, not surprisingly, stupid amounts of alcohol.

This year, however, was different and wonderful - I had no frustration, disappointment or resentment to work with. And for that, I do not apologize!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What made it wonderful?

Carrie Blogshaw said...

the setting was right, the ambience was right, the mood was right, the flowers and candles were right and the company was just right.

Anonymous said...

not so sh*tty !